Running, biking and finding your zen

For the past month, I have pursued road cycling with new passion.  Or perhaps it wasn't passion, but at least commitment, accountability, with a goal race to focus my energies.  I am not sure if I was running away from the disappointment of my last trail race or just following the shiny appeal of something new.  Probably both.  In the biking experiment, here are some of the thoughts that have fueled my fire to bike and also to return to running.

The beginners mindset is always a great place to be.  Curiosity drives discovery and with every ride, every climb, every new route a milestone is checked.  It feels good to check Strava to see 6 new trophies!  New friends, new activities, new gear- it's all super fun and super forgiving.  Mistakes become teachable moments.  It's hard to take anything too seriously.  I love learning something new, especially when I am reasonably good at it.  But biking isn't the same as running:  don't find the same flow state that allows me to run for hours; instead I depend on friends and podcasts to get me through the long training sessions.

Way Too Cool kind of kicked my butt.  I know I have said this before, but I still cannot believe how far in the disappointment sunk in.  I have been simply going through the motions of training for a few months, and before the LP100, I couldn't fathom training for a goal race.  And that's just the thing- why do I need a race at all?  I like running (a lot) and wouldn't stop training.  Yet I pay a coach to keep me on track.  I need this because that curiosity is still strong.  I may be 40 years old, but I still believe there are PRs ahead.  I wasted my 20s with lack of motivation and accountability so I want to keep myself on track now, while I still can run and compete.  Even if a few months aren't my best effort, I am fit and ready to go when a race sparks interest.

What does it all mean?  For me, running is an outlet, social hour, mood booster, moments of clarity on the big stuff, reflection and recollection of the small stuff.  It's my time, it's my job, it's my passion.  Running is a chance to explore the physical world around us and the physical capability of my body.  It's a chance to think everything through or not think at all; my contemplation and my zen.  Whether I am training to compete for my team or running to just keep fit, I know that running is the sport I always will come back to.  Mixing in cycling is super positive in all the same ways running benefits me, but it is running that I love.  May I always maintain the ability to run a little, or a lot, and gratitude to not take this for granted.


Popular Posts