Lyle Pearson 100 solo

Yesterday I rode the Lyle Pearson 100mile solo race, or LP100.  It was my first bike race of this sort and my first real century ride (not just biking 100m throughout a day).  I was inspired by my Team 10Barrel teammates to participate in a bike race, and this is the only race I could imagine taking on: a staggered start solo ride without packs of riders or dubious obstacles to navigate.

I have wanted to ride the LP200 (a 4-man relay covering 200miles from Boise to Ketchum) for nearly 6 years; ever since I broke my foot and discovered the Boise cycling community.  The interest in biking comes and goes through the years, mostly depending on my current injury status, but this year I figured I should just go for it.  The relays were full which is how I found my way to the 100mile solo ride.  The LP100 allowed me to be a part of the event, though the order stands a little taller when you don't get a break from the saddle for nearly 6 hours!

Starting near the Grandjean turnoff on Hwy 21, you climb a little, descend a little and then climb a lot.  Ten miles up to Banner Summit with 1,859 ft gain.  This was steady and about what I expected; I felt strong coming over the top.  The descent was great to start but soon leveled out and began to climb again.  I know this stretch of highway well enough to not let this uphill surprise me.  However, coupled with the cross/head wind and longer climb than I remembered, the stretch from Banner into Stanley was a doozie.  I was fighting for 20mph downhill!  This challenge preceded the long 30 miles to Smiley Creek on Hwy 75- a segment everyone (and I mean EVERYONE!) warned me about.  Notorious for strong headwinds and another sneaky climb, I was was feeling discouraged coming off Banner Summit and into the hardest leg of the race.  In fact, I told my husband at the transition zone, "I'm not sure if I am having fun yet".

As I took off toward Smiley Creek I let myself fall into a grinding rhythm and didn't check my stats constantly.  I taught myself how to ride the aero bars that clipped uselessly to the front of my bike for the first two stages.  I may have even gone too easy, expecting it to be hard rather than appreciating the swirling winds (as opposed to the strong head wind everyone predicted).  When I was passed by another solo rider, who gapped me but didn't continue with his sprint, I caught back up and asked if he wanted to work together.  I would pull for 1-2 minutes, expecting him to take short pulls as well, but then I think he was aiming for mile trade offs (?).  So I upped my pull to 4 minutes, but I knew I was spent when those 4 mins were up.  Overall I think it went well and definitely broke up the monotonous stretch, so for that I am thankful.

In the final climb to Galena Pass I was psyched and ready to ride.  I have run these 5 arduous miles, with 1,300 ft elevation gain, several times with the Sawtooth Relay and felt ready to ride them.  But riding 5 hard miles after 67 miles is much harder than riding 5 miles (or running 5 miles) on fresh legs.  Even semi-fresh legs.  Just not 67-miles-on-an-uncomfortable-saddle legs.  gah!  That was hard, but so was the downhill on the other side of the pass.  I averaged 30mph and was super psyched for my wildly daring self. ;)

Finally the home stretch: Galena Lodge to Ketchum.  This 20 mile stretch wasn't going to be a total walk in the park but I thought it would be a little easier than it turned out.  What normally was a tail wind had turned straight on and seemed to be blasting my poor little achy body.  I was practically an expert on the aero bars by now, but it was still so difficult to ride alone.  I pushed hard.  I reminded myself why I was here: I had long wondered what my cycling legs were made of and this was the real chance to find out.  I stayed curious and counted the landmarks as I rode into town.  I know this stretch of the highway better than most any other in Idaho and there was no way I would let it get the better of me today.

In the end, I placed 2nd for women and 6th overall with a time of 5:40.  It was hard!  To be honest my butt suffered the most.  My legs were tired but not trashed the way they had been once in the training cycle.  I felt great about my nutrition and hydration (see below).  I am- quite honestly- really proud of myself and feel intrigued to see what else might be possible for me on the bike  What if I had a TT bike or more than a month of training or some kahunas on the downhill?  These questions may keep me coming back for more.

---


Nutrition: 
Skratch labs exercise hydration mix: 3 tall bottles, total of ~ 360 calories
3 packs Skratch labs energy chews ~ 450 calories
1 skratch labs anytime bar 220cal
1 cliff bar 250 cal


Popular Posts