The North Face Endurance Challenge Utah

The race day began with a bowl of oats and a coffee in the bathroom of the hotel- just like the college XC days- as I didn't want to wake anyone up.  The weather forecast had looked better than expected, but to truly get outside and test it would take way too long so I had to trust the screen.  After several wardrobe changes, I settled on thin capris, tank and arm sleeves, with a thin lycra shirt on top.

I jogged the mile to the start, checked my bag of post-race dry clothes into the gear tent and then huddled by the fire.  Ultra runners are so friendly with pre-race banter and this race was no exception.  As Wave 1 was called to the starting line, I eyed the competition.  Who here was going to kick my butt and my 14mile long run? Probably everybody.

The gun went off and I followed the leaders and a line of glow sticks to the start of the trail.  The course was modified to eliminate the highest aid stations, closed due to snow on the access roads.  First we ran the 10K course loop, circling down close to the finish line and back up the original trails designated for the 50K.  The trails weren't easy but the footing was reasonable.  The climbs came in rolling terrain for the most part, and the concentration required for single track trails helped keep my mind off of the grade of the hill.  The leaves were changing on the oak and maples, while many of the deciduous and evergreen trees kept their shades of green.  Basically, it was gorgeous!  As we climbed, the vistas continued to expand; and particularly along the cat track near the highest point of the course, it felt like you could see forever!

The high point came around mile 15, just before dropping into the 5-way aid station.  I stopped for a potty break and tried to take on more calories.  To this point I had only managed maybe 200Cal, but I think it was even less than that.  That's not so good, not for me at least.  As I hopped on the trail down toward the Marsac aid station I was ready to run fast.  The down felt good after the long climb, the snow was nearly an inch deep flocking the trees and low bushes on this side  of the ridge.  It felt like a beautiful winter day!  Just ahead was a guy with a GoPro running and filming me.  I felt like I had to catch him (that's weird, why?), so I just flew!  This lasted about 2 miles (the pace, not the GoPro dude) and I suddenly realized that I needed food.  I made a better effort on my Larabar and tried to reign in the pace a little.  At the aid station I got Scratch endurance mix and hoped the new calorie source would help.  I looked at the rest of the food but chips, pretzels, candy- it all looked so gross.  Not that my semi-frozen gel was any better...

From Marsac to Kind Rd aid stations I was sure we would begin to start climbing back to 5-way, but the terrain remind rolling with a net downhill.  eek.  This climb was going to be brutal.  I wasn't feeling great, but it was manageable.  At Kind Rd though (mile 23.8) it began to unravel.  Mr. GoPro was back and following me as I slogged up the hill.  The trail was steep, technical with roots and sharp turns, and I was still out of fuel.  My legs didn't burn, I just felt foggy.  I convinced myself it was just 1.5 miles to the top (it wasn't) and all I had to do was get up this hill.  I figured it's easy to quit on an uphill, so that decision would have to wait until a downhill section.  That was the only thing that kept me going at that point: delaying the decision I knew I didn't want to make.  It's easy to tell yourself the negative story with an emphasis on the inadequate 14-mile long run (which was just last weekend), a workout on Tuesday, and a hip that screams at me both up and down the hills.  To say I was unprepared would be an understatement.  But instead I found my granny gear and got myself to the top with only minimal walking on the Steps Trail (not real steps) when it was particularly steep.

At 5-way again I let the volunteers help me.  Someone filled my bottle, someone guided me to the table and trail.  One volunteer told me we were at 24 miles and I almost cried (there is a chance she said 27 and it was 4 miles down, but if that is what she said it is not what I heard!).  I chugged a Mtn Dew, thinking it was a gatorade, and almost puked.  As I began to head down the trail, I was burping and feeling so gross; but then I realized it was just like the beer mile I did 2 weeks ago.  I had done this before, I can do it again!

Descending with increasing speed, I began to run scared.  I hadn't seen any other women in a long time but that last section was dismal.  I just wanted to get down and to the finish line.  I didn't want to give up my lead at this point in the race.  I wanted to look back but reminded myself that I should just do that thing I would do if I actually saw someone back there.  Don't look back, just go!  Pick it up!

In the last mile I realized that I was back on the 10K course and I knew where I was going.  I picked up the pace again, going as fast as my tired little legs would go around each switchback.  Down the final hill and this time to the right; back to the finish line.  Wait!  This is uphill.  Like, seriously UPHILL!  I chugged.  I tried.  I pumped my arms in hopes that the momentum would get me up the hill and to the finish line just in case my legs would not.

Ta da!  My first ultra win, and it comes with a seriously cool belt buckle.  I am so proud of this run and so excited and rejuvenated to keep training for these new events!




Gear:
Shoes: Scott Supertrac RC, with Altra gaiters (still training in Altras and ready to give the new King MT a try... They released just a little too late to catch my racing cycle this year.  I like the Scotts but think the Altra would fit my Flintstone feet better.  Looking forward to trying the Kings!)
Socks: Features ankle sock, thin (always the fav)
Pants: Lululemon Fast & Free Capri (perfect for 30* and I love the side pockets)
Top layers: Lululemon Switly with an old Brooks thin Lycra shirt on top. Also, Lululemon arm sleeves under the long sleeve- a winning and warm combo! (Swiftlys are my favorite fabric and the lycra is good, but I suspect that shirt will disintegrate soon.  Looking for a new best top layer.)
Vest: UltrAspire women's (not in love.  I don't think I like having the bottle in front because it totally bruised my prominent ribs.  But the back pouch with straw seems likely to freeze in these conditions. Any ideas out there?)
Hat: Brooks marathon cap
Ear Warmer: Lululemon 2 layer Luon 
Gloves: Brooks ultra thin fleece (so old, needing a new mitten!)

Nutrition:
Hammer gel in Mtn Huckleberry 
Larabar in key lime pie
Skratch Labs hydration mix 



Popular Posts