Bogus Basin Hill Climb

No matter how many times I say that I will start riding more, I just never prioritize the bike.  It's too easy to run and just a little too hard to get the bike gear ready.  So once again, I hopped on my bike and attempted to race despite my lack of training.

The Bogus Basin Hill Climb is a race of 16.5 miles with 3,500' vertical climb.  Riders of all levels come out for the classic race, now in it's 45th year of competition.  We started at Lulu's Pizza parking lot and rode as a group up to the start line at Highlands Elementary.  I suppose this helps shake out the group so everyone is starting in the right place, rather than allowing slower riders up front that could be trampled once the gun goes off.  It was a surprise to me though, as a novice rider, and I wasn't sure if the race had started or not.

Finally the gun went off and the top riders were off.  Fast!  I hung back, not wanting to blow out my legs in the first few miles which I think are the steepest.  I tucked in around the first downhill corner and felt daring, fast, confident beyond any previous time on a bike.  (Funny how adrenaline works, eh?)  However, when we got to the second downhill with a sharp turn at the bottom, I was feeling much shakier and told the guy behind me that I was going to slow down a lot.  He was nice and said it was fine, but it was embarrassing to have to yell instead of using hand signals; I just couldn't even take a hand off of the handlebars to signal (like a pro) instead of yell (like a fool).

Now the race began for me: climbing, working the groups of riders ahead of me, paying better attention to the mile markers, making plans.  I finally felt in the groove.  The riders came back one by one, and with each "roadkill" my confidence grew.  Near mile 13 I passed a women whom I had been talking to at the start line and that was a huge and pleasant surprise.  I kept climbing, climbing, feeling good but getting nervous that it would all fall apart any minute.  I felt great but I still don't know what hitting the wall feels like when you are biking.

I finished strong, but alone.  Nothing about my race was textbook and that's ok.  I really enjoyed trying something new and a 1:14:40 finish good for 4th place was good enough for me.  Maybe I'll train next year....? ;)
Pizza at the top of the mountain! #priorities

Popular Posts