4 years ago...

Everything happens for a reason.

Maybe you believe it, maybe you don't.

Like me, you prefer the lighter, "This moment is exactly as it should be".

These thoughts weigh heavy as I think back to 4 years ago today: January 14, 2012.  Olympic Trials marathon in Houston.  Dates in January always catch my attention but in this Olympic year I cannot push January 14 out of my mind.  I remember every step, every twinge of pain, pressure & discomfort.  Remembering the shock of actually
stepping off the course when I was in the best shape of my life. Then meeting reporters on my way back to the convention center, and having nothing positive to say. It goes on and on through the rest of the day and into the night.  The post parties, the range of emotions on every runner's face, the disappointment for having traveled so far and having nothing to show for it.

The months and years that followed are well documented in this blog, but I am always struck by the journey and how I got to where I am today.  I get to coach the raddest women in Boise, and have made so many new friends through the Betties- and to think that almost didn't happen.  Broken bones and uncertainty regarding logos shouldn't keep you from your dreams.  I am so thankful to all who pushed me to just start the team.

Then there is my own running career.  As I make final preparations for a third marathon in 6 months, I am so incredibly grateful for my health and the ability to continue pursuing my goals.  It's hard to say that I don't actually care how Sunday's race goes, because of course I want to qualify for the Trials again, but I don't want to get greedy.  I just plan to race with all of my heart, hand to burner for the last 10k, and come across the finish line proud of every step along the way.  Lucky me to have the opportunity and the strong body to even attempt it; and I mean every word.

May Jan 17 forever outshine Jan 14 from here on out!

Comments

Popular Posts