John O'Neill, RIP







 I was shocked to learn that my next trip to Colorado won't include the bone dry humor of my good friend John O'Neill.  John passed away last week, and his Facebook posts confirm that this was unexpected by all.  I am sorry to say that this is the best clue I have to his well being, as it has probably been a decade since I last saw John.  Good old social media felt like we were connected and I lit up when he commented on my rare post.  Still, nothing replaces the joy of real connection and catching up over a run or dropping in at a world class specialty running store like his. I won't attempt to replicate his humor or share the stupidly funny things he said* that stuck with me; but I can share the impact he had and maybe that's enough for you to realize how awesome he was, and how much he'll be missed.

John and I met when he and Jeff opened the Colorado Running Company in downtown Colorado Springs. They filled a void in the running community with a well stocked store and a gathering place for runners of all ages and abilities.  It was so excited to have a specialty running store in town, I stopped in twice in the first week to say hello, and thank you!  Not long after, John assembled a group of runners to ask if we would represent the store on the roads and in the races.  My first taste of sponsorship!  I was thrilled and so grateful for the opportunity.  This gesture was the first of many ways that John built my confidence and helped me believe in myself.  I can honestly say, he saw my potential way before I recognized it in myself.

In the years that followed, I joined the early morning runs, breakfast at Wooglins, margaritas at that place in Old Colorado City, and of course the holiday parties at the store.  CRC is the first place I heard Nike's "Boing", learned of Hanson's training in Michigan, tried a running skirt (a sample that John gave me because no one else would ever wear one of those), and, I am realizing, it was the first group of adult friends I made after leaving college. It was a special place.

I left before CRC moved north and I lost touch with many in the years that followed.  But I am happy to say that John and I stayed in touch- just a little and just enough- to count him as a friend.  His support of my running, from my first marathons racing for CRC to his attempt to connect me with coaches in Boise.  John's quiet generosity had a huge influence on my early career and I attempt to pay it forward with my athletes today.  

Insta story, Feb 2021
John- thank you for everything, from uniforms to real world Adult advice.  I can’t thank you enough! 💜💙  miss you, friend  


*ok, I'll share just a few silly John memories....

- On the 8" sidewalk ramp (you know, to make sidewalk corners ADA compliant) he often exclaimed, "I hate hills!" 

- Every time my keys jangled in my pocket, he asked if I brought bus money to get home.

- Once, after starting our run and just crossing the street, he asked, "Are we there yet?"

...ok, I'll stop.  I imagine it's not as much fun to read as it is to remember.  I can hear his gruff voice in my head and imagine that sly smile when he thinks he fooled you.  But those are for me.  You, friends and readers, should go out for an awesome run, explore the mountains, and buy your shoes at a specialty running store.  Support local, like I did, even before Amazon was a thing.


Comments

Popular Posts