5000m, Not A 5K

Last week I challenged myself to do something I've never done.  A 5000m.  No, not a 5K- those are run on the road or trail- but a 5000m race on the track.  Never done it, how hard can it be?

It all started after a tempo/hill workout on Thursday morning.  I was looking for the Boise State home track meet information simply so we could go watch the races.  The words "Open Athlete" caught my eye and next thing you know I am signed up to run Friday night in my very first 5000m race.  I never raced this distance in college, and frankly hadn't raced any distance on the track since- ehmm- the '90s.  Maybe 1998?

Yet here I am, warming up with girls who were in diapers in 1998 and wondering where the start of the race actually is: the 300m mark? 200m mark?  And how many laps is this race?  Do you wear spikes or flats?  How do you run this race- I literally have no idea!?!


So I toe the line on the far outside lane, race to the front pack and continue to make every rookie mistake in the book.  I go out way too fast, recording a record mile for my mid-30s and with over 2 miles to go, proceed to watch the wheels fall off.  After a number of 80s, I think there were some 93 second laps in there.  It's hot and I am really not enjoying this run.  Not even a little bit.  I'm ready to step off the track and call it.  Maybe next time will be better; I'll run smarter at the start and the weather won't be so hot and I'll make sure not to run hill repeats 36 hours before….

But I can't stop; because if I do then I will have to explain to my 4 year old why quitting is OK.  That's not a conversation I want to have, because it's not a belief I want her to hold.  Which is exactly why I just keep running- suffering- through each turn en route to my first 5000m finish.

How'd I do?  eh, OK.  I mean I am not thrilled with my time and I am a little embarrassed by the lack of racing maturity I brought to the track, but I did qualify for the USATF Club Nationals.  That only means that I have the chance to redeem myself on a big stage.  And it sets the carrot out a bit further so I will have to work harder, train smarter and not assume that my marathon miles will carry me far.

This is the big time.  This is Track & Field.  Take a left and pick it up!


That's me, in the neon pink Boise Betties singlet, and that's my conscious peering through the fence.  Thanks for keeping me honest babygirl!

Comments

Popular Posts