Running, Rehab, and Ruts

Am I running again?  Yes, I guess you could say that.  I like to think of it more as continuing rehab because 12 to 18 non-consecutive minutes of jogging at 8:15 pace is hardly satisfying in the running department.  But it's incredible satisfying if we are talking about the healing progress of my foot.

I am currently doing rehab that includes 3 minutes of running and 2 minutes of walking, for a total of 30 minutes.  I built up to this point from 1 minute runs followed by 4 minutes of walking- which was nearly a "why bother?" but obviously an important step in the rehab process.  If things were going well I would be back to running by the end of the month.  But I'm not feeling so lucky.

As expected, my foot aches after I run.  All of those little muscles are still rebuilding strength and learning how to work again.  It's so strange to consciously think about every foot placement, how your foot rolls through a step and really work to train the muscles to do this on their own, in the correct order, with perfect form.  It's exhausting, really.

But beyond the muscles in the foot, I sometimes get a hot spot on the navicular bone.  It's not the same place as the break, but concerning still.  So for now, I am on hold until we determine the next course of action.

Comments

Popular Posts